Post-birthday Ponderings

Not much time has passed since my last entry, but so so much has happened!

I realized that I never updated you guys about Sunburn, or my birthday weekend!

The whole weekend reminded me how lucky I am. My friends were great—each of them made me something truly special and/or delicious! We were able to celebrate my birthday, and my friend’s, by going to Sunburn, which, I’m not going to lie, had a weird start.

When we got to the gates there was a lot of security. It made sense to have it there, for there were legitimate celebrities coming to campus, and I’m sure that their security people wanted to make sure that nothing bad would go down, but it was odd seeing them. Lewis & Clark is a trusting community, and I’m sure that I don’t speak for myself alone when I say that I was incredibly put off when I saw them. There were checkers before the doors, at the doors, and past the doors. They didn’t even allow cameras inside! I thought this was a little strange (it’s a concert, of course we’ll want to take pictures!) and when my friend was forced to go all the way back to her dorm to put away her tiny little camera, I got a bad taste in my mouth. But once we all got inside, all of us with our SpongeBob birthday hats on (I think I’ll save mine forever), it was great! We came in at the end of The Thermals, and had some time to wait before GZA performed. After him, Gogol Bordello went on and KILLED IT. They were so wonderful—even my professors talked about them the next week.  There weren’t that many people there when we arrived, but by the end of the night Pamplin was packed! I loved dancing with all my friends, because I haven’t gone to a concert with all of them in a really long time. Having people you adore around you makes everything better.

The morning after Sunburn my friends and I went out to brunch at this deli that I’m obsessed with, Kenny and Zuke’s. I ate way too much food and was able to take over quite a bit of leftovers, which is always a good thing. The rest of the day was spent reading, but it was sincerely brightened when I found out that my parents sent me flowers and a cake! That night, my friends surprised me by somehow getting candles, finding the cake, and singing me happy birthday in the lounge. When I commented on the abundance of candles, one of my friends responded “Well we had to put on twenty!” For a second I thought she was kidding, because it sounded like far too many, but then I realized, no, I’m nineteen now (and then there was one for good luck, of course). I’m getting old.

I know I’m not actually old, but it is a little scary. I feel like my life is moving at insane speed. My first year of college is almost over. WHAT? Have eight months truly gone by since I boarded that plane at Dulles? It feels like just yesterday I was finding out who my roommate was and stalking her on Facebook. It feels like just yesterday I was in my orientation group.

This won’t be the last time I reminisce, that I promise. But it’s just so weird to think about. Time is flying by, and I’m not sure how I feel.

20 March 2012

Both comments and pings are currently closed.