We Accept Her, One of Us…

368 days ago, on March 23rd at 5:37 p.m., an e-mail arrived in my inbox congratulating me on my admission to Lewis & Clark College.

My entire college application process was a rotation of joy and terror. First, joy at the thought of transferring and finding a school to fit my personality and nurture my interests. Then, terror at the actual application process (something I had not really had to face as I applied to SBCC). Next, there was joy at the completion of my applications and the ensuing terror of awaiting the decisions. I only applied to two schools, UC Santa Cruz and Lewis & Clark, so the stakes were high. There was a rush of joy with my acceptance to UCSC and a continued panic as I anxiously awaited Lewis & Clark’s decision. Finally, there was the immense joy of my acceptance to Lewis & Clark and the terror of having to make such a dramatic decision about my future.

As transfer students can testify, it is not as though the school you choose is an irrevocable decision you’re forced to stick with regardless of how it all turns out. However, the decision of where you attend college is a big one. It asks students to analyze themselves in ways they may not have had to before. Do you want your school to be in a city, near a city, or far from one? Do you want a small, medium, or large school? What do you think you’ll want to study? Suddenly students are given choices, and that’s not really something that comes into play as much in other school experiences. With these choices come a feeling of responsibility. You can’t blame your distaste for the school you choose on anyone but yourself (unlike your hatred of chemistry, or math, or whatever class you hated but had no choice in taking in high school). The decision of where you go to college is an opportunity for great success or disappointment. Done right, you have the chance to find someplace that is an amazing match. Whether you’re looking for a place that pushes your comfort zones or allows you to be entirely yourself without fear of any threat, you can find a place that’s right for you. This pressure to find the right match can be stressful. I hope to help you all realize that there are ways to approach it that help the task be a little less daunting. With the right approach, you can maximize the joy and minimize the terror that come with deciding the first step of your very broad future. Your experience in college is made up of an elaborate web of choices. This is just the start of what is hopefully a wonderful journey.

Take this experience as an opportunity to learn more about yourself and how you best face decisions. It helps to know yourself the way schools ask you to as you decide where to go. You learn a lot about yourself by finding out what is essential to your enjoying and experience. With that in mind, if you need a little help in making your decision, take the following qualities and rank which are most/least important to you:

-Location (State, Region, Distance from home, City vs. Town, etc.)

-Enrollment size

-College’s attitudes, emphases, etc.

-Majors or course offerings

-Housing (on-campus, off-campus)

-Student activities

-Athletics

-Social life

Now, take your choices and see how they compare with this information I’ve put together on Lewis & Clark. Also take into account previous blog posts provided by myself and fellow Real Life Bloggers, videos from the Lewis & Clark Youtube channel, articles from the PioLog, and whatever other credible accounts you can find of our fine school. With all of these, you should be able to get a pretty good idea of how much you’d like to be a member of the Lewis & Clark community. All figures here regarding enrollment are taken from the LC website. The rest are my impressions of the school.  As always, I welcome any questions from prospective students, parents of prospective students, or anyone who would like to know more about Lewis & Clark College. Feel free to leave a comment or send me an e-mail.

Having been in this position myself, I can honestly say that I know how daunting this might be for some of you. Your being here on this blog and trying to get information is already a huge step in the right direction. Find out all that you can about the schools you’re considering. Tour, visit classes, spend the night, talk to students, and do whatever you feel would help you understand whether or not a school is right for you. I wish you all the best in your decision making process. For me, Lewis & Clark has been the best fit I could have possibly found. I hope that it can be the same for you.

Originally, this post was going to be a video. However, my computer has apparently decided to form a plot for world domination. The audio for the test videos I made was more than a bit unnerving. A little sample to amuse you all:

Also, here is an older video you may not have already seen with some of the reasons that I decided LC was the right school for me (and yes, I chose that thumbnail as a gift to you all):

‘Til next time,

Grayson

26 March 2012

Both comments and pings are currently closed.