“May the odds be ever in your favor.”

Hi folks,

I’ve spent the past month or so trying to gather responses from a group of fellow students about their dorm experiences so that you can use them to inform your own dorm decisions. I didn’t quite get a perfect, complete set or as many responses for each dorm as I’d hoped (in an effort to give you a nice, broad idea of each dorm from many perspectives), but I’ve done what I can with what I did get. I hope that you find the more in-depth information about each dorm helpful as you make your own housing choices. I wish you the best of luck in choosing your dorm preferences, and I wish you even more luck when it comes to actual roommate/housing assignments.

All photos featured here are provided from the Campus Living web pages, including some taken as screen-caps from videos. Click the photos to view the Campus Living page for each dorm.

Copeland

Shannon B. (’15)

Q: What has been a pleasant surprise about your dorm?

A: The showers are great. Seriously, it gets very hot very quickly. Not to mention the water pressure is actually phenomenal. I don’t feel like a dirty college student at all! Furthermore, I was unaware that there was a stereotype about the people of Copeland until I arrived at LC. I found this stereotype to be false though. Not all the students who reside in Copeland are athletes. There is actually a great amount of diversity in the building, thus allowing for me to feel at home.

Q: If there have been any unpleasant surprises/experiences about your dorm, what were they?

A: Unpleasant: Copeland can be pretty loud. There is a large party scene in the building. Luckily I don’t live in the part that seems to be craziest. Also, since my floor is all girls there isn’t usually a lot of traffic passing through. This is nice because our hall is quiet, but sometimes I wish there were more of a middle ground of loud/busy and quiet/empty throughout the building.

Q: How would you describe your dorm to incoming students (what attitudes are there, what types of people, etc.)?

A: Copeland is great for social students. There are a lot of people and a lot of places to explore. The rooms are a decent size. The building really becomes a community – largely in part to the great RA staff, but also because the building is on the outskirts of campus.

Q: What has been your favorite dorm activity?

A: My favorite dorm activity is piling as many people as I can onto my bunk bed and watching a movie or tv show on Friday nights. I also quite enjoy the community builders the RA staff puts together.

Q: How would you say the typical person living in your dorm spends a school night? What about weekend nights?

A: I don’t know if there really is a typical way to spend a night in Copeland. Many students do homework, others spend time in the lounge watching movies or tv, playing pool, or just talking. Often times there are get togethers in the dorm rooms, but there isn’t really a set night for when those occur. Weekends are spent socializing. A lot of people go downtown, others watch movies in the common rooms. It is a diverse mix, but includes activities pretty typical for college students.

Q: Any additional comments you’d like to make?

A: Copeland is wonderful!

Stewart

Emily R. (’15)

A: Walk in closets!

A: Living next to the street it can get pretty loud at night… I remember at the beginning of the school year when it was really hot and I wanted to keep the windows open for fresh air I was often woken up by cars on the street. I’ve gotten used to it as the year has progressed, but it is still somewhat annoying…

A: Upper Stewart is very quiet. I pretty much only see people when passing in the halls. I usually smile at them, but nobody ever really says hi. It’s strange at times. Lower Stewart I believe is a little more friendly, and a lot of my friends live down there. It’s a little louder, but in general I think Stewart is just a quiet place, which can be good or bad, depending on your personality.

A: Waffle Wednesday! Although… I don’t usually end up getting a waffle because there are so many people and I don’t feel like waiting. But I like hanging out with the people that come. Also, I don’t often attend Stewart dorm activities just because I do not hang out with a lot of Stewart people. Those people that I do hang out with from Stewart don’t usually join in the activities either, we pretty much do our own stuff.

A: In my dorm I think the people are probably doing homework… but I can’t be sure because I never see them. People usually camp out in their rooms I think, or go somewhere else if they are looking for something to do.

A: I would not recommend Stewart for somebody who is looking for a lot of social interaction from their dorm… I don’t mean that to sound mean, because there are times when I am really glad to be in Stewart because it is quiet at night and I never have problems getting homework done. Stewart is good for people who are looking for a laid-back dorm life. I am not saying that if you live in Stewart you will have no social interaction. I have other friends from Stewart, but generally for greater social interactions, I go to a different dorm.

Odell

Unfortunately, I was not able to get a response from an Odell resident (affectionately known by some as an Odweller). However, I will answer on their behalf to the best of my abilities. Out of all the dorms not my own, I probably have spent the most time in Odell. If you have additional questions, send them my way. I’ll answer them as I can, and if anything is beyond my means I’ll nag a friend in Odell until I can get you the answers you need.

Grayson A. (’13), non-resident

Q: What has been a pleasant surprise about the dorm?

A: I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how inter-connected Stewart and Odell are. I hadn’t picked up on that when I read the school’s information on the two residences. They’re actually physically connected to one another by the Stewart-Odell “split”. I think the relationship between the two dorms is really positive for both. Odell’s liveliness and emphasis on inclusion with their activities can be great at encouraging socializing and involvement from Stewart residents, and the respectful and mellow attitude in Stewart can have a helpful effect on the actions of Odell residents.

A: As a non-resident, I think the only surprise that I would have found challenging as a resident would be that the majority of the students in Odell are freshmen and sophomores, with very few upperclassmen. I imagine that as an incoming freshman or a sophomore transfer student, though, this could be a definite positive.

A: I think that Odell’s pretty broad in terms of the types of people it draws in. Some traits that I’ve come across with everyone I’ve encountered there is a general willingness to welcome and include people regardless of what dorm they actually live in. There’s a pretty solid effort on behalf of the RAs to engage their residents and have activities. I also think, as I mentioned, that the interaction with Stewart has a really positive effect on the general tone of the dorm. It’s also worth noting that there’s usually a good balance between work and play.

A: As a visitor, I’ve joined Odell for activities with crafts, movies, and even an adorably quirky evening in which the SOAA Area Director Charlie Ahlquist read aloud from Roald Dahl’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as we all munched on Willie Wonka candy and sipped hot chocolate. I think that last one may be my favorite, simply because I loved how tight-knit it all felt. People from all throughout SOAA were sprawled in the Odell lounge and Charlie brought in a fancy armchair just for the occasion. His dog Lux lounged near the chair, often stretching out for better scruffles from students. Each character was given a new voice as Charlie read aloud, and the falsetto for the women was particularly humorous. It was just a cozy, homey evening. That was definitely something I could appreciate in the midst of stress and work, and I especially appreciated that there was that effect regardless of whether or not you were actually from Odell.

A: From the information gathered from friends, I can say that this, too, is pretty diverse among Odell. Weeknights seem to usually be a balance of fun and work. My friends typically spend most of the school nights doing homework, with exceptions made for favorite TV shows or interesting on campus activities (plays, concerts, speakers, etc.). Weekends are all over the place in terms of how people choose to spend them. Some students go downtown, others take part in activities on campus, and there’s almost always at least one group of people making use of the lounge area for fun activities, video games, movies, or TV shows.

A: I love Odell and would definitely recommend it to incoming students.

Akin

Melanie T. (’15)

A: A pleasant surprise I found living in Akin was the community here. I knew I would find some sense of community with my neighbors, but because Akin is so small, the whole dorm knows each other! We all eat dinner together, hang out together, see movies, go downtown, everything. Living in Akin has given me a family here on campus that I always look forward to coming back to.

A: None mentioned.

A: Akin is home to both international students as well as international minded individuals – people who want to explore the world, learn language, and learn about culture in general. Everyone is very friendly and welcoming – people want to know about you and care about what is important to you. Quite literally, everyone’s doors are always open.

A: My favorite activity that my dorm has done together is when we get to cook in the Bon kitchens for the Multicultural Fair and the International Fair. We get to cook into the night, get a behind the scenes look at the Bon and have fun together while making delicious ethnic food!

A: On a typical night in Akin, people study in each others rooms, listen to music, and some nights people are cooking in the kitchen which makes for a great study snack! Weeknights and weekends, we also watch movies, people play video games in the common room, and granted, there is the occasional party on the weekends. I like to think we have a good balance of work and play!

Forest

I did not receive a response from the Forest residents I contacted, sadly. I believe, but may be misinformed, that Nick (my fellow Real Life Blogger) lives in Forest. I recommend you try contacting him with any questions about the dorm. If he isn’t actually from that dorm, then maybe he at least knows someone who is… So sorry to not have more information for you all.

Howard

Ryan K. (’15)

A: The location on campus is fantastic! It is centrally located relative to everything on campus and has quick, easy paths to classes and Templeton. Seriously though, the location is excellent and it has bigger rooms than Platt (which is the adjacent, sister-dorm of Howard). 

A: Not really a surprise, but fellow hall mates do not have the cleanliest kitchen habits. It is not unbearable, but it is rarely completely clean. Probably a common theme among college students though.

A: Howard has a pretty good range of students, though I do not know of any international students living in Howard. The Outdoor Pursuits theme offers great opportunities for any Howard dweller, but in no way defines the Howard community. Overall, the atmosphere is laid back and friendly. If you are looking for a happy medium between the rowdiness/liveliness of Copeland and the quite, separated atmosphere of Stewart/Odell/Akin, Howard is perfect for you.

A: Holiday dinner parties together before Winter Break, which included dradle gambling for Mike & Ike candy.

A: Most weeknights consist of hanging around the dorm and/or studying in rooms, the lounges, or outside if the weather is nice. Opportunities for movie nights and television series mini-marathons in Howard or on the big-screen tv in the Platt lounge (which is just across the bridge) exist on any day of the week and can easily be organized or joined. On the weekend, most students are at various activities around campus, off-campus/downtown, or studying in their rooms or the lounge. The weekend nights are usually quieter than weekdays because less people are physically in Howard, which offers peace and quiet or a great place to invite other friends over to for movies, games, and such.

A: Because Howard is relatively small and stands on its own from other buildings (except for a bridge to Platt), there are plenty of windows in Howard, so lots of natural light brightens the rooms and halls. However, if you are looking for a more dungeon-like atmosphere, the Howard basement floor is smaller and offers a comfortable and private escape for some students. As of right now (which may change), a Designated Smoking Area, or DSA, is located between Howard and Platt. This can be a positive for some students, as it provides easy access to a place to smoke or hang out, given that there are almost always people there. It can also be a negative however, because the group of people hanging around the DSA can be loud late at night and sometimes a faint smoke smell carries over to Howard. This can easily be negated by closing your windows, but if could be a serious issue for you, it is worth considering. Generally, the DSA is a neutral to slightly positive part of Howard because it offers a constant social hub and I enjoy the occasional cigar. A good dorm experience is influenced by three aspects in my opinion: your dorm room itself, the floor/community, and the location on campus, all of which Howard is top notch in my book.

Platteau

Alas, the Platteau residents I contacted did not get back to me, either.  Fellow Real Life Blogger Abby has mentioned Platt in her posts, so I believe that is where she lives. Send her your questions and hopefully she can take care of them or at least point you in the right direction.

Hartzfeld

Emily N. (’14)

A: I didn’t realize until I had lived here for a bit just how nice it to have a roomy dorm room–lots of space for clutter to accumulate, but it’s still much better than being cramped and feeling claustrophobic. Suite-style living is also a pleasant change from communal bathrooms. Sharing a bathroom with only three other people feels a lot more like home and gives you more privacy.

A: The construction noise has been a pain, but that won’t be a problem for students next year, luckily! It’s a also a bit of a walk from Hartzfeld to the other side of campus where classes are, so that’s something to keep in mind if you want to get to and from classes quickly.

A: As far as I can tell, Hartzfeld is pretty diverse but people seem to respect each other. In my experience, people do tend to keep to themselves here, though…there wasn’t a lot of community, at least in Hartzfeld D.

Q:What has been your favorite dorm activity?

A: N/A…

A: I would guess there’s a lot of studying going on, but sometimes people seem to be socializing and having fun too. There’s a band in C, I think, that I hear practicing a lot, so that’s fun!

A: Nope! Hartzfeld’s a cool place.

Replace “Residence Inn” with your dorm of choice. Don’t replace the elephant at all, because it is adorable.

‘Til next time,

Grayson

24 April 2012

Both comments and pings are currently closed.