When Grayson was in Egypt’s land, let my Grayson go…

Hi there everybody,

Depending on your pop culture knowledge, you may or may not be able to tell that I watched Ferris Bueller this weekend. There was plenty of work to do as well, but I found myself in dire need of a break one night, so I wound up watching a movie with friends. It’s a pretty good movie choice to balance out the desire to not be in school (Ferris) with the utter gloom of having to work so hard in school (Cameron). I usually relate pretty strongly to Cameron’s fusion of fun and wallowing, and the other night was no exception. I’m definitely feeling the stress and pressure of Finals Week. It’s hard to balance everything out and not panic about what’s to come. I’m having trouble focusing on what is at hand instead of bracing myself for something that doesn’t happen until I’ve finished two other things. I have exams in four of my classes (Piano–which was last week, Cognitive Neuroscience, Christian Origins, and Drugs & Behavior). I’ve also got assorted performance requirements to fulfill and papers to write, so it’s a lot to juggle time management-wise (especially when you try and jam reasonable amounts of sleep in there. My schedule is just not having that.)

I had my Cognitive Neuroscience exam today. Blessedly, it was not cumulative, but that did not make it much better. My professor’s last name is Watson, which (unbeknownst to him) sets my brain off with Sherlock Holmes references more often than you’d expect.

From “Otters Who Look Like Benedict Cumberbatch”

Today’s exam, I found myself flashing back to one of the first (if not the first) Holmes/Watson scenes in the first of the new Sherlock Holmes movies. Holmes, in a fragile state, says:

“Gently, Watson. Gently.”

Watson responds with no tenderness whatsoever. Today, as I braced myself for the inevitable horror that was to come, I thought to myself, “Gently, Watson. Gently.” Alas, my fate was the same as Holmes and the exam was anything but gentle. I’ve always had trouble getting ready for these tests and today was no exception. I had studied, but I had not prepared. It’s frustrating to spend so much time and give up so much sleep on something and to not do as well as you’d hoped. I don’t like leaving exams without some sort of confidence, but that was the case today. I’m hoping that the rest of my grade will ease the blow of this exam so that I end up with some sort of middle-to-low B. It’s not the best, but this class was a real challenge for me, and I’m proud to have made it through relatively unscathed. Whatever grade I get, I can at least know I worked hard to earn it. My philosophy on most academic pursuits applies here as it does to just about everything to come this week:

Next up on the agenda are two essays to write with the very little sleep I have in me and preparation for a makeup piano solo performance. On top of that, I have to find some way to ready myself for my non-cumulative (THANK GOD) Drugs & Behavior final by tomorrow night and my cumulative (WHYYYY?) Christian Origins final by Wednesday. Throw in the panic that comes with looking at my quite-full room and trying to wrap my head around how to un-fill it, and it’s a busy week.

I know that many of you who are incoming students are facing similar trials right around now. I hope that you’re all managing the stress alright and finding ways to keep yourselves motivated (like, say, reminding yourself of how awesome LC is and that you get to come here next year). If you’re feeling run down and are in need of a boost, you can always try my secret weapon:

http://youtu.be/btPJPFnesV4

Once again, I wish you all the best and hope the week goes well for all of you.

‘Til next time,

Grayson

30 April 2012

Both comments and pings are currently closed.